Legislation requires that all staff are trained and supervised in Food Safety and hygiene training equivalent to the level of risk associated with the food handling task being carried out.
This course in line with the Food Safety Authority of Ireland’s Guide to Food Safety Training.
It will give learners the skills and knowledge to apply the principles of food safety and prepare food in a safe hygiene manner.
The training course is divided into eight units. On completion of the course, learners are required to complete an end of course quiz consisting of 20 multiple choice style questions.
By the end of the course learners will:
- Know the law regarding food hygiene, and how employers and employees can comply.
- Understand the importance of food hygiene and recognise the types of health issues poor food hygiene can cause.
- Be competent in identifying the various types of food safety hazards, and how to avoid putting food at risk.
- Be able to maintain good standards of personal hygiene in order to avoid contaminating food.
- Understand the importance of thorough cleaning and proper waste management and know-how to carry out effective cleaning activities.
- Understand and respond to any signs of pest infestation
- Learn the core principles of HACCP
Unit 1. Introduction to Food Safety & Legislation
- Food Safety law
- Duties of employers
- Duties of employees
Unit 2. Food Hazards, Contamination, and Controls
- What contamination is and food safety hazards
- The four categories of food contamination
- Ways to deal with and prevent contamination
- Learn about cross-contamination and the ways in which cross-contamination can be controlled
Unit 3. Food Poisoning
- How Food Poisoning occurs
- Causes of Food-Borne Illness
- Symptoms of Food Poisoning
- Controls to Prevent Food Poisoning
- Legal Responsibilities for all Food Workers
Unit 4. Personal Hygiene
- Personal Hygiene
- Unhygienic Practices
- Dangers of Poor Hygiene Practices
- Protective Clothing (PPE)
- Staff facilities
- First aid & Accidents
- Fitness to work regulations
Unit 5. Controls in Food Handling
- Safe Steps – why bother?
- Food Safety Signage
- Controls for Safe Food Preparation
- Controls for Safe Food Deliveries
- Controls for Safe Food Storage
Unit 6. Cleaning & Disinfecting
- The Food Premises
- Cleaning & Disinfecting
- Good Cleaning Practice
- Cleaning Chemicals
- Safe Disposal of Waste
Unit 7. Pest Control
- Pest Control
- Pest Hazards
- Preventing food infestation
- Pest Control Measures
Unit 8. HACCP
- HACCP definition
- The Seven Principles of HACCP
- The HACCP Model
- The Four Steps to Implementing Controls