Learners will gain a basic knowledge of the legal requirements and working practices necessary to ensure a safe working environment. It will assist employers and employees in meeting their legal responsibilities under the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and will ensure that employees are equipped to work in a safe and confident manner. It will also provide an understanding of the role of the Health and Safety Authority when carrying out workplace inspections. Health and safety awareness training reduces the risk of workplace accidents and leads to a happier, healthier workforce with reduced absences from work. Employees will benefit from an increased level of awareness of workplace hazards and an ability to recognise unsafe situations in everyday workplace scenarios.
The training course is divided into five units and is delivered online, it will take approximately 1 hour to complete. On completion of the course, learners are required to complete an end of course quiz consisting of 20 multiple choice style questions.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Identify the benefits of health and safety procedures in the workplace
- Outline the legal responsibilities of the employer and the employee
- Recognise common workplace hazards and suitable control measures
- Describe the functions of the Safety Statement
- Understand of the role of the Health and Safety Authority when carrying out workplace inspections.
Unit 1: Introduction to Health and Safety
- What is health and safety?
- Benefits of health and safety
- The role of the Health and Safety Authority
- Workplace injuries and fatalities
- Reasons to manage health and safety
- Consequences of poor health and safety
Unit 2: Health and Safety Legislation
- Primary legislation
- Responsibilities of the employer
- Responsibilities of the employee
- Overview of safety statement
Unit 3: Workplace Hazards
- What is a hazard?
- What is risk?
- Common workplace hazards
Unit 4: Controlling Hazards Part 1
- Manual handling
- Slips, trips and falls
Unit 5: Controlling Hazards Part 2
- Chemical safety
- Workplace equipment
- Moving traffic
- Safe working environment