You will also learn to satisfy the needs of older people in a variety of care settings and enhance the quality of life for the older person.
Who Should Attend?
Our Care of the Older Person course will cater for a variety of adult learners ranging from school leavers with no previous experience in the healthcare sector to more mature adults with relevant life or work experience. Some of the latter will have previously had some education and training in healthcare. More mature adults will frequently be seeking new career opportunities, be working in the home or currently working in the healthcare sector. These will tend to opt for the part-time learning route to achieving the award.
- The physiological and psychological process of ageing
- Social attitudes to ageing people
- Impact of the ageing process on the older person
- Promotion of positive attitudes to the ageing process
- Identify care settings and services available for older people
- Current provision of care settings and support services for older people
- The role of the health care assistant when working with an older person
- Identify physical, emotional and social needs of the older person
- Caring for older people with specific needs
- Effective communication with the older person
- Promotion of advocacy, empowerment, independence, dignity and respect of the older person.
- The role of the family/carer
- Personal effectiveness in the workplace
Students will be assessed on both the theoretical and practical elements of the course through:
- Project Work
- Skills Demonstration
Course Delivery: Distance Learning
How distance learning works:
As our learner, you will be issued with a username and password which allows you to log-in to your course anywhere you have an internet connection and at any time. This allows you to complete the course at a time and pace that suits your individual needs. You will have access to the course materials plus support documents and useful links and video clips. All course materials can be printed if you prefer a paper copy. In addition, you will have access to tutor support though phone, email and via an online forum.
Our QQI Accredited Healthcare Programmes are delivered in association with Chevron Training, an accredited QQI Provider.